The Rhino Box™ family of industrial grade, all-weather field electronic equipment enclosures are designed to allow Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components to be safely operated from the environmental extremes of the Arctic to the scorching heat of the desert and the drenching humidity of the tropics.
How The Rhino Box™ Works:
Built around the field proven rugged transportable Hardigg® case Metric Systems Corporation adds its expertise in designing and building communications equipment for world wide deployment to offer standard and tailored electronic enclosure solutions for users who need to operate in harsh conditions permanently or temporarily without the expense of modifying or acquiring specialized structures.
The Rhino Box™ enables a user’s electronic component suite generating up to 1000 Watts of heat to safely operate in environmental extremes ranging from desert ambient environment of 120º F (49º C), to a 93º F (34º C) tropical forest at 88% humidity, to a driving cold rain at 35º F (1.6º C), and from altitudes ranging from sea level to 10,000 feet (3048 m).
Mil-style snap-in external connectors for data and power together with ruggedized cables allow you to tailor your system to your specific external networking, communications and power interface requirements. Matching standard 25 foot (7.62 m) cables allow operation in rough terrain and wide temperature range.
Applications and Benefits
- Quickly and reliably support anywhere, anytime, any-weather operations in nearly any global venue,
- Reliably operate COTS equipment in harsh terrain situations, and
- Extend the life and application of commercial and industrial grade equipment and site enclosures.
- Durable Hardigg® case mil-spec tested for rain, sand, wind, shock, and temperature extremes to guarantee durability and integrity in protecting your specialized equipment.
- Eight independently (computer) controlled high-reliability 183 m3/hour high-flow fans and calibrated silicon temperature sensors monitor ambient air intake, internal equipment heat rise, and exhaust temperature.
- Broad temperature range environmental processor maintains safe internal enclosure operating temperature by reading temperature sensors and controlling fan speed based on external air temperature and internal equipment.
- Space age-type internal insulation material to reflect external heat energy and assist in maintaining internal climate control.
- Rugged external user electrical and communications interfaces allow easy access to internal equipment
- GFI protected AC power system and service outlets for personal safety and equipment protection. (NOTE: For AC input models only.)
- 4 Amphenol waterproof digital connects (internal-to-external connections).
- External USB user administration and monitoring port and client interface cable
- Redundant internal 12V DC power system
- Case color selection (select from grey, yellow, black, red, white, orange, forest green, olive drab, tan, or blue)
- Internal illumination device
Theory of Operation
Operationally, each Rhino Box™ employs a suite of 6 active and passive thermal dissipation and containment components to maintain a safe and reliable operating point for the enclosed electronic components:
- The exterior of the Rhino Box™ uses a highly reflective proprietary transparent paint. This first line of defense reflects up to 90% of the sun’s heat.
- Internal avionics type Space Blankets reflect heat transmitted through the Rhino’s durable skin. These two block upwards of 97% of the sun’s radiant energy.
- The Rhino Box’s internal environment computer monitors the external and internal system temperatures and controls a powerful suite of intake and exhaust fan assemblies dynamically control internal temperature.
- In a cold environment (< 35º F, 1.6º C) system operation is reversed and the embedded environmental computer controls the recirculation of the internally generated heat to maintain a safe internal operating range.
For more information on the two types of Rhino Box™ categories MSC offers, please see either the standard Rhino Box™ page or the custom Rhino Box™ page.